Study of Bc->J/&psi &mu X
We have performed a search for Bc->J/&psi &mu X in 360 pb-1
of exclusive J/&psi data from Run II. We have identified and estimated several
sources of background in the J/&psi+muon mass window of 4.0-6.0 GeV/c2,
including decay-in-flight and punch-through of pions, kaons and protons, tri-muons
arising from the fragmentation of bb
pairs, and fake J/&psi together with a third muon.
- Our J/&psi+muon sample of Bc candidates has 106 events with a
background of 46.0± 7.3 events.
Candidates (black) over background (magenta).
- The hypothesis that the observed sample can be accounted for by the background
is rejected at the level of 5.2 standard deviations.
- The cross-section times branching ratio for Bc->J/&psi &mu &nu relative to
B±->J/&psi K± is measured and found to be
0.245± 0.045(stat.)± 0.066(syst.)+0.080-0.032(life.)
for the case where the B pT is greater than 6.0 GeV/c.
Here is a complete version of the results:
Below are the eps versions of all figures meant for downloads.
- Event Selection Plots
- Fake Muon Estimate Plots
- Same Sign Muon Study Plots
- bb Estimate Plots
- Fake J/&psi Estimate Plots
- Total Background and Signal Plots