The Higgs Boson - A one page explanation!
Simulated Higgs particle decay in the ATLAS detector.
In 1993, the UK Science Minister, William Waldegrave, challenged
physicists to produce an answer that would fit on one page to the
question 'What is the Higgs boson, and why do we
want to find it?'
Here are the winning entries!
- Mary and Ian Butterworth, Imperial
College London, UK
Doris and Vigdor Teplitz, Southern Methodist
University, Dallas, Texas, USA
- Roger Cashmore, Department of Physics,
University of Oxford, UK
- David Miller, Department of Physics and
Astronomy, University College, London, UK
- Tom Kibble, Department of Physics,
College, London, UK
- Simon Hands, Theory Division, CERN,
Reference: Physics World, Volume 6, Number 9